When is the last time you tested your well for bacteria?
Municipal supplies test their water for harmful bacterias regularly. Some municipalities will test several times in one day from one source or another. Customers pay for these tests when they pay their water bills as part of the service.
Private well owners do not have the same luxury of having someone else routinely monitor their water for bacteria and that is the main reason we install a lot of UV light disinfection for private well water. You cannot smell or taste harmful bacterias like legionella or E. Coli so the only way to know if they are present is by testing for them.
There can be many different types of bacteria present in water. Some can cause aesthetic problems like an oily sheen on the surface of bath water or red staining in toilets and sinks. Some can be very harmful and pose a serious health risk. A google search of ‘legionella’ will render several recent articles about people becoming seriously ill and even dying from legionnaires disease.
The most common harmful bacteria we find in water in the Reno and Sparks area is E. Coli. Private wells in areas near surface water like the Truckee River or Washoe Lake are especially prone to contamination from bacteria. Areas that are in flood plains like the North Valleys or Minden also fail bacteria testing often.
Bacteria can be tested through a few local labs and sample collection is a service that we offer. The labs test for coliform bacteria first. Coliform is the category of bacterium that includes E. Coli and other bacteria that indicate fecal contamination in the water. If coliform is present, the lab will then test for E. Coli. E. Coli causes serious indigestion problems and even death.
Fortunately, treatment for bacteria is very simple and user friendly.
Chemical Free: Our UV Protector uses ultraviolet light to disinfect the water as it passes through and into your home without the need for chlorine injection or residual chemical in your water.
Efficient: The UV Protector requires no backwash and uses a low voltage power supply.
User-Friendly: The UV Protector only needs upkeep annually. The unit also comes with a digital display that indicates how many days until the unit needs service so you never forget. The unit also comes with an audible alarm in case of failure or malfunction.
The unit is also very affordable and easy to add to an existing water system. For more information, visit our disinfection page or Click Here to get a quote.